Roads

I still don't know how to review a film. Should I quote something from the dialogue? Should I make a casual introduction, like: last Sunday I watched the film adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, and it resembles, if not in itself, an end of civilization, a sort of dystopia? Should it ever be casual? Should I drop words like dystopia, or make a paragraph about the road itself, and the symbolic Road (and capitalize it)? These days everybody raves about a film, recycles the same term-paper vocabulary, and posts it on a website, and most readers would think of it as insightful, as equally stellar as that of a published critic. I don't know why, but I really think I don't have much to say about films and the cinematography, or the editing, or film school theories. These days, it's about making a different din than everybody else. So I cried at the ending of the film. I forgot about it, but it's probably because the father died and the kid was at a loss, and the beach was just like, well, this Truffaut film Les Quatre Cents Coups (and look at that namedropping sticking out of this post) and the beach at the ending: the stark similarity. It's how unnamed these nouns work, alluding a common idea. I remember writing to myself about the idea of expressways (or freeways, or autobahns) as something unnamed. It's easy to lose oneself in an unnamed place--easy to bring it into mind, the way it can barge in on a dream.