Pace

It was an hour and a half hike to Mudspring. My pants were very soiled, and my feet hurt. I smell like rotten egg, but exercise releases endorphins, so this is probably the effect of having had some sort of an exercise. In my Abnormal Psychology subject, it's described as "the feeling of well-being." There were no paved roads so walking is such a stress, having landed into edges and other rough exposures, terrains, and I've seen three, four soles which were half-buried in mud. It's funny; soles on the road. I don't know the point of this blog other than updating it with tidbits of well-I-did-some-hiking-today. The other side of public confessionals like blogs is the fact that we still haven't confessed much about anything. Not that we need to confess, but when we do, it goes through a screening process because let's face it, we do have at least one reader. Just one. Maybe this entire paragraph is something else. Maybe it's one of the unusual insects I've seen during the hike. It has the structures of insects, but the color is vivid, akin to poisonous frogs, and is not in any way--for the lack of a better term, "slender"--compared to other insects. Maybe it's a bug. We think of paragraphs like these as a freak of nature. Maybe not. I don't know. My professor was saying something about wood, and I wish I were expert in wood. We came across a reddish wood--he said it was tuay (bischofia javanica) and I remembered this other tree I saw at the back of the Biological Sciences building, and the scientific name I memorized (haematoxylon campechianum) or commonly known as logwood. The management, whoever they are, managed to trim the tree and exposed its trunk in the color of rust, its shavings the color of atsuete. One recalls death that way, with that color vivid enough to taste something metallic.

Yes, gastropods do have soles.

A radial section of bischofia javanica.