Holy Week

Yesterday I tried this recipe from the New York Times. I didn't know any burger which didn't involve meat in it. I mean, fine, there are veggie burgers in the market, but to make one is just absolutely not my kind of thing. Every once in a while I try exploring recipes, trying this and that--and it never fails. There really are endless combinations: apple, mustard and pork; kimchi, bratwurst, Indian pickled stuff and satay sauce; port wine and cheese; adobo and saging, among others.

I confess I've tried being a "vegan" for three days, backed by its hype and righteousness, and it's just really difficult. I guess it's frustrating to do when you're not in sync with their philosophy. (Is it just me putting vegans on a pedestal? Do they really have a philosophy of some sorts?) When I say "vegan", it's the idea of throwing up (or not really) with the sight of fastfood burgers and meat in general, having concluded that the entire meat industry is dirty and unjust.

The burger was promising, it's just that I'm not into following measurements so the burgers turned out to be soggy, to the point that the word "burger" is . I also didn't have an oven here in my apartment, but I promise to do this at home. The recipe involves mashed garbanzos (in English, chickpeas; all I thought this was just for halo-halo) and some parsley, fresh sage (which The Philippines don't have), mushrooms and brown rice. Relatively simple.

The coincidences: this week is holy week for devout and practicing Catholics. Do you still follow the abstain-from-meat and fasting customs during the holy week? I'm skeptical about the entire idea of a Church (a long, long story from High School) but it's nice to make this week as an excuse to eat vegetables. I found a handful of recipes to cook this week: Miso-curry Delicata SquashTuna Rolls, and Tofu, Greens and Cashew Stir-Fry!