Donovan

Today I celebrate my birthday leave in my bed, feeling like a sponge dehydrated and squeezed to the bone by stomach flu. I have never heard of it before, but apparently it's a stomach ache with fever, diarrhea, nausea and lightheadedness. It started with a knot in the stomach last night which went on (akin to that of the drone of a fridge at midnight, just humming) while reading Perec's Things: A Story of the Sixties on a bus from Alabang to Ayala Station, but I thought it's just that I've eaten too much in this Japanese restaurant my wife and I frequent shortly after an acupuncture session.

The droning in the stomach peaked when I arrived for work, and the next thing I know I had to go home and leave the office after reporting for two hours, doing some errands with the e-mail, and nodding. I slept with a blanket. I was having the worst chills of my life, and my bones and muscles were kneaded and it was just real torture. My entire body ached. I could barely stand to turn off the electric fan.

But everything feels better now.