Siesta


  1. My wife and I have been trying our best for the past few weeks to perfect our marshmallow fondant. It can be a good business prospect, since she really wants to be a pastry chef (and I imagine myself to cook some good food, but not coming close to what a chef means).
  2. Again, rereading Frederick Barthelme's Law of Averages. I really can't get rid of this book, ever.
  3. Finished the back-to-back Georges Perec novellas: A Man Asleep and Things: A Story of the Sixties. I bought this Bruce Chatwin since it's a collection of essays and so far... I'm not really liking it. I've always thought of the British as scheming opportunists, and this rings true in Chatwin's setting as he explores the world not quite as an explorer but more of a British ambassador, criticizing Africa, China, and other non-western cultures as something wayward.
  4. I have to admit I've been trying to think of ways to spend my long weekend since everybody else on Facebook are in beaches. I think I skipped the fact that I'm a father now, and that things need a lot of planning if going out to a beach. I mean, a year ago I could've texted one of my friends and end up smoking pot in a beach within 24 hours. 
  5. Beach are hot stuff nowadays, and it made pools look like remnants of a not-so-eco-friendly, bourgeois past. Back then, the buzz is about wave pools and Splash Island (and Eight Waves and Sun City) and all the artificial hullaballoo, but eco-tourism has been so effective in The Philippines for the past few years that for locals, Boracay looked like nothing but an overpriced alternative. It goes without saying that there are hundreds of beaches to exploit, and after ten years we'll be retreating back to our swimming pools because of overexploitation, and I'm sure we would be coining a term for the threefold influx of tourists in our country (hypertourism!) or something.
  6. The qualms of a family man: rising electricity bills due to increased air-conditioning usage (read: every night, or whenever we feel like it), then the empty stares at the fridge, making ice cubes, wishing I could live in the freezer. Summer is expensive: new goggles, gallons of ice cream, artisanal halu-halo, birthday parties on resorts, plane tickets to this well-kept island. It's a bonanza of consumption.
  7. I am alarmed by the people I know who have been getting tattoos recently. I know someone who's been an avid fan of Vampire Diaries who has just posted a picture of her tat, and I could hear her squeal just by reading her status. See: it's just a fad. I was reading this blog of a tattoo artist of nine years and can't help but agree: it's the new cool, and it comes in all forms, shapes, and sizes. I know people are entitled to get tattoos, that's their body, I may sound a little too conservative but I know a lot of people will regret the idea. No, a whole generation will regret this because they confuse tattoos with graffitis on body. For me, it's just self-vandalization, putting a lot of your ideals on your body, romanticizing the constants such as your name, your address, your favorite quote. I mean, look at Scarlett Johannson! If you're a fan of Vampire Diaries, just please don't do it. Tattoos have aesthetics, and though it is such a cool conduit for self-expression, it can't express everything. I know, it's such an elitist view, but I'm yes to tattoo appropriation!