Misquotations

It's too much to belabor about the Internet and hyperreality and mention really big postmodern words, but I'm pretty sure somebody did such an atrocity to the name of E.E. Cummings on this Tumblr quote. (Don't ask how I ended up on reading the quote: I really couldn't remember.) Let me post it here, as it has been reblogged by basically everybody else.

“A bouquet of clumsy words: You know that place between sleep and awake where you’re still dreaming but it’s slowly slipping? I wish we could feel like that more often. I also wish I could click my fingers three times and be transported to anywhere I like. I wish that people didn’t always say ‘just wondering’ when you both know there was a real reason behind them asking. And I wish I could get lost in the stars.

Listen, there’s a hell of a good universe next door, let’s go.” - E.E. Cummings

I recognized the last line from one of my readings on my science fiction class back in college. It's from 'pity this busy monster, manunkind'. It's wonderful poetry, but towards the end it becomes bleak with its predictions on mankind, thus the interruption:

ultraomnipotence. We doctors know

a hopeless case if --- listen: there's a hell
of a good universe next door; let's go

Reading another poem of E.E. Cummings (particularly this one) should make you think that the bulk of the aforementioned quotation is clearly written without the poet in mind. Heck, it reads like John Green, or J.D. Salinger, or... a Blink 182 song. It's completely anachronistic of E.E. Cummings to imagine teleportation through clicking one's fingers three times, and worse, to write about it in prosaic language.

Wishing that people "didn't always say 'just wondering'"? Written by E.E. Cummings?!

This being the Internet, it's natural to assume that there are versions: in this one, the last line has been removed. But in many instances, it wasn't. It's the same shit in different baskets, really. I am no E.E. Cummings scholar or even an avid reader of his works, but you'll just know, and right now I cringe at the idea that whoever inserted that paragraph--whether by accident or not--along with one of the most promising last stanzas of E.E. Cummings, should go unscathed, meanwhile fooling 12,000+ people who liked it on Tumblr as of last week.