On cyberwaste

Deleting old blogs is cathartic. It feels like taking part in cleaning what seemed like human cyberwaste, which is just immense, even after Multiply shutting down and Friendster deleting everything in its wake. Like the weekend detox program everybody seemed to be on these days. Well, I was able to do it for two hours in the office, and have managed to delete a substantial heft of online waste: several blogs from five years ago (two Wordpress blogs, three Blogspot blogs); my Formspring (I wonder why I made one in the first place); then my Plurk (inactive since 2009) and Twitter (inactive since 2007) accounts. I was one of the earlier users of Twitter and back then, it was such a flop since I couldn't really figure what the stuff is for. Update yourself: and then? I know better than to make an Instagram account: it's a fad which, later on, will add up to my online presence--another account to delete later in life.

The only accounts I couldn't delete are my Flickr and DeviantArt accounts, probably out of sheer sentimentality, but also because I had a Pro account with Flickr in 2009 and the unlimited bandwidth had tons of my pictures.

Facebook, so far, is a necessity.

My Livejournal is my long-standing account, dating back to 2005.

I was also cleaning up my Yahoo! Mail accounts (my first ever, made in 2004; then my second, in 2007). There was this e-mail from my 6th grade best friend, a reply from my e-mail dating way back 2008, when I was rekindling old contacts. The reply came about two months after I e-mailed him about his course, and how's things, so naturally I must have forgotten all about it. He clarified that he was taking Geology and not Geodetic Engineering. It seemed like an important matter in his e-mail. Then he said I was unbelievably "mature from the [former person] I know", what with all the blogs I wrote, which he read during that time.

The rest were unwanted subscriptions and spam.

Sometimes I wonder how my whimsical fifteen year-old self would react if he is reading it right now. Honestly, there was this point during my commute when I thought of these as time wasted. Well, it isn't that easy to dismiss these as nonsense, but every time I read my former blog posts I cringe. We hadn't thought that the things we wrote in the past would make us cringe in the future, but there they are, online, and other people can see it just by searching our name.