Thoughts on Tennis

I really don't have much to say about tennis.

People from the Philippines, I think, isn't entitled to blog about tennis. We have tennis courts in our third-rate subdivision, but I've seen people play badminton in the court. It looks so shabby, I must have said to myself, that they looked like they're playing badminton from afar.

Ever since Novak Djokovic won two years ago at Wimbledon, I suddenly wanted to keep abreast of tennis affairs. It's not easy to pinpoint what's with Djokovic to have this influence over me, but I've seen him playing before during those brief channel-skipping intervals. His name just stuck to my head. I most probably didn't take note that he's a Serbian. Never did I take a good glance on tennis games: except, perhaps, when I used to read Jessica Zafra's blog, which I now discontinued, for personal reasons. 

I just know that if someone would ask me out on a dinner and ask me about tennis, I'd say Djokovic. With confidence. 

Back in college, I enlisted myself to a lawn tennis class, but the 7AM schedule discouraged me. This means I would have to wake up at 530AM, and eat a measly amount of breakfast for fear of appendicitis. A measly amount of breakfast is unthinkable for me. Add to that is the distance from my apartment to the tennis court: about twenty minutes away, provided that there are jeepneys willing to stray a little far from the major thoroughfares. I also had to be practical since this was ideally my last semester, which means I would be juggling this with my thesis. 

Some other reasons: None of my parents' families had any sport to be associated with. From the looks of it, we simply didn't want to be athletic. 

Also, it would require a tennis racquet which I didn't have. My girlfriend has this father who encouraged all three of them to play tennis, but I declined when she volunteered to lend me hers, since--and this is an afterthought--no person in his right mind would take tennis, except the people who's good at it, the people who wanted to look good at it (with Lacoste attire, etc) and the fanboys who would make it easier for everyone to be the ball boy.

I changed my mind and took bridge instead. It's easily one of the most sedentary P.E. classes next to chess (which I also took). But at least I finished college!

What's irresistible with tennis is this hushed atmosphere that's strikingly different from the rowdy games we watch on TV. It's one of the elite sports, next to water polo. It's like watching two people play head-to-head chess, only with audible grunting. I imagine golf games to be rather hushed, but that's partly due to its being the most boring sport on earth. Raccoons can play golf, I swear to god.

It's just now that I've learned of the seed system they have, and the various terrains tennis courts have. (Djokovic is currently number one, and I'm sure it means a lot). I also haven't watched any other open tournaments other than Wimbledon, probably because it was, to my horror, mentioned in this Justin Timberlake song (with Snoop Dogg)

As I've elaborated on my disclaimer, I can't say a lot, but the Bartoli vs Lisicki championship match is just the worst game I've ever watched on my fledgling history of watching tennis matches. (I totally forgot to stay tuned to last year's Wimbledon! I was rooting for Lisicki simply because she's very amiable, but I never thought her being emotional (she always smiles: I've never seen any other tennis player who smiles so wide) would take a toll on her game with Bartoli. Bartoli is mean, tough, robotic, with a no-nonsense game face. Lisicki is just graceful, but sometimes erratic. Lisicki is as moody as Bartoli is as consistent. It's clearly not the game people are looking forward for a championship.

But here's to hoping Djokovic wins the championship tomorrow!