Sunspray

 









Some eight years ago, my pediatrician and I found out a pattern regarding my asthma attacks: they always occur on the first week of October. I was born with asthma, and in the clinic where I have made my trips to with my Mom (and eventually, with myself or my Dad) for the past eighteen years of my life, I shook hands with the nebulizer. I used to look at it when I was younger and find it a peculiar machine which emits a metallic smell, kind of like smelling a spoon's surface. It still is special to me.

Ever since I went to college and learned to smoke all kinds of things, the asthma subsided and was replaced by something else: allergic rhinitis. Seasonal pollen must have been a culprit, and in Laguna, especially in our campus, pollens thrive. 

But this is just self-diagnosis.  

I always forget about the October pattern until last Friday, when I had been sneezing in the morning and, after downing a beer in the office (we always have beer in the office!) and smoking a couple of cigarettes while playing foosball, I started to feel like scratching my throat. I'm very skeptic about medicines in general; when I arrived at our house I drank and gargled hot tea until my throat swam in it. 

The next morning I cooked chicken korma (I only used the leftover mix from two months ago) and added too much chopped ginger and chili that I ended up sweating the entire day. But my throat stopped itching after that.

Today, I had to entertain Perry. Our baby-sitter's out for the day. I tried to lull him to sleep but I know this much about children: they would only go to sleep after a very exhausting day. I stormed my way outside carrying Perry by my arm and the walker on my other hand and I let him walk until he panted like a dog. It was an unbelievably sunny day (and it's almost October). The cloudless sky, and then some light breeze. Every now and then I tie his shoes, but aside from that, he needed little supervision. So I took some pictures from my phone.

Tomorrow should be the last day of my allergic rhinitis, since I find it worsening in air-conditioned environments just like the office.