Titles and sound

Come to think of it, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has to be one of the stunning titles for any work of fiction I've come across in years. I've read it in 2009 and the image I had in mind didn't bear much impact the way it did now: the whirring sound of a fast approaching airplane coming right at your office desk, with all the Doppler effect. (And the slow-mo as well.) It's a title about sound, not image. It's a description of sound nearing you, and it reads like a warning, as in a shout, a fire truck, some state of panic in a crowd. This epiphany came when I had to type the title on Facebook and I had goosebumps.

So maybe it's an effective title. 

I'm almost finished with Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 and--not that I'm expecting the phrase to jump right at me--but I was thinking that this title has to have some anchorage from the plot, character, anything! Or maybe it's the premise of this... pompous postmodernist project.

With Don DeLillo's The Body Artist, it's about the character, god bless her. Just a simple, striking title. Same with Oondatje's Anil's Ghost, or The English Patient.

Same with Fight Club. It's a title about something.

Haruki Murakami's After Dark is more of a mood title.