No dice

From Michael Robbins' You Haven't Texted Since Saturday:
I’m sorry
I brought a fitted sheet
to the beach. I’m sorry
I’m selfish and determined
to make the worst
of everything. I’m
sorry language is a ship
that goes down
while you’re building it.
I like how sincere it is. I like how it reads like an elegy - how it is an elegy to someone who has gone just recently. (To where? It doesn't matter where.) I thought the line cuts were just fluff, but maybe it hints at how impulsive and spontaneous the tone is, how energetic and mournful at times. It reads like someone is pacing back and forth, thinking of things while looking at the floor, at the ceiling, at odd angles. The poem isn't scared of dropping details, no matter how random. (I've been to Jay St - Metrotech, and it's a quaint station in Brooklyn.) I like how the protagonist searched Wikipedia on the practice behind Tibetan prayers, how it proved him wrong, and how he could never rectify himself. I also liked how this detail hinted at the protagonist's age - or maturity. Going back: the fact that he sends his prayers made me think the person who is being addressed in the poem has already died. I like how IL FUMO UCCIDE is smoking kills in Italian, how death looms within the poem. I like the color the phrase "dad's army jacket" adds to the poem: it's drab olive and brown, boyish, pixie cut. (I could go on: elfin, smoker, scribbler, fickle-minded.) I also like how random the apologies are - and how each compounds in weight and magnitude: from fitted sheet to selfishness to language. That's also my favorite line: "I'm sorry language is a ship that goes down while you're building it." It's how futile words become the moment you encapsulated ideas into words - and I assume the same logic applies to elegies. When I subscribe to my reading and go back to the title, the title is cast in a sarcastic light: you know why someone hasn't texted since Saturday. Or perhaps it's an attempt to make the life-changing trivial. Also towards the end the poem has taken a new tone, although I'm not sure how to put it: Spiritual? Calm? Or: redemptive. Or: exonerative.